Monday, March 31, 2008

wooly

I've been learning to knit this winter, and it might just be as relaxing as yoga. Crazy, huh? But I love the repetitive motion, the instant gratification of seeing progress as my project grows, and the tactile experience of working with soft and cozy wool.

Now that I've been knitting (mind you, I've only been making scarves) for a few months, I am obsessed with unusual objects that have been hand-knit. Remember the perfect, creamy wool deer? I keep finding more beautiful, creative and unusual things, and just had to share them.



Diana at Please Sir shared these photos of a tree-grafitti project she did back in her college days. Wouldn't this be a wonderful surprise to happen upon while strolling through campus?

And some beautiful large-scale knit furniture by designer Christien Meindertsma of Rotterdam of Flocks, found via housemartin.



Yes, that's a big rug with a pair of boots on it! These huge "sweaters" are made on GIANT needles!


And I'm so glad that someone has finally solved a problem that has been weighing heavily on me for quite some time...cold apples. What a relief! These little apple jackets make me feel that everything is alright in the world.

And as a true Seattle girl that loves her coffee, I might just have to get one of these coffee sleeves.

Update! I had the post typed up last week to post this morning, but at the wedding I did on Saturday (more of that to come later this week), the bride had a little dish of these tiny knit hearts-on-a-stick. Heart shish kabobs? I honestly don't know what their purpose was, but they were so cute that I don't even care!



Update II! I just heard from Stacey, the coordinator for the wedding last weekend. The hearts were a play on a traditional Japanese sweet that is served during the cherry blossom festival, which was the theme of the wedding. The treats are called hanami-dango and are rice dumplings filled with bean paste. Oishi!

No comments: